After the Austro-Hungarian Kings' Chamber moved away from Bratislava the building became, from 1802 until 1848, Austro-Hungarian Parliament. At the last session of this parliament in 1847-1848 serfdom was outlawed and L. Stur spoke in defence of the Slovak people.
This, massive building, built in the Classical Baroque style was built 1753-1756 on four plots of land which had been combined. The building was designed by the Emperor's architect, G.B. Martinelli, for the highest finicial institution during the period when feudalism was in place in the Austro-Hungarian empire. In 1772 the building was extended to meet the needs of this institution. After adaptation in 1951-1953 the building became the home of the University Library.
Go Diagram of Michalská ulica
Go Other objects of interest
Go Back to start