This Neo-Baroque building was erected in 1912 on the site of the old main post office from a design by G. Partos. This is one of the first buildings in Bratislava in which steel reinforced concrete was used as a structural material. This was used in pillars which supported a glazed roof which formed the main courtyard where the post was delivered. Due to the building being located on an incline there are entrances for vehicles into the central courtyard in both the basement and on the ground floor. This meant that a strong susupended ceiling to the basement was neccessary to carry the wight of the carriages entering on the gound floor. This was glazed so as to provide natural light in the basement area. Of particular interest is the interior of the main hall with its original counters and stained glass roof.
Go Diagram of Frantiskánska ulica
Go Other objects of interest
Go Back to start