This late Renaissance building was built on the site of an older monastery building, from the 13th century, on the orders of Archbishop P. Pazmana in 1637-1640. It was built by the Ravovec builders from Italy.
After the disolution of the order of the Clares in 1782 the monaster was changed into a school. In 1784-1851 this was the base of the Academy of Law and in 1786-1908 a Catholic Secondary School. J. Murgas, a pioneer of wireless radio communication, studied at this school. The composers B. Bartok, E. Dohnanyi and many other important figures in Slovak cultural life also studied at this school. Today this building houses the Slovak Educational Library.
Go Diagram of Klariská ulica
Go Other objects of interest
Go Back to start