This group of several buildings has Gothic foundations from the 14th and 15th Centuries. It has been rebuilt several times in the 17th and 18th Centuries and then again in 1860-61. At the beginning of the 15th Century a tower was built on the perimeter wall of the monastry. After being damaged in 1897 this was replaced with a neo-gothic spire. The Baroque chapel of St Rozálie can be found here.
The monastry has been the site of several important historical events. In the middle ages knights were chosen here. In 1526 the Austro-Hungarian parliament chose Ferdinand Habsburg to be king of the Austro-Hungarian empire.
Go Diagram of Frantiskánske námestie
Go Other objects of interest
Go Back to start