This Gothic church was built from 1280 - 1297. It was consecrated in the prescence of King Ondrej III and many important figures from the church of the day. From 1613 - 1616 it was extended in the Renaissance style and from 1745 - 1746 it was renovated in the Baroque style. It is one of the oldest churches in the town. There are two chapels which adjoin the church. These are;
In the original building the Gothic Presbytery has been preserved and there is also, on the left hand side, a sand-stone pieta from the beginning of the 15th century. During the corronation ceremony chosen members of the aristocracy were knighted here as Knights of the Golden Spur.
Go Diagram of Frantiskánske námestie
Go Other objects of interest
Go Back to start