This square was established on an patch open ground in front of the old town defences. In the 18th and 19th Centuries there was busy market place here which was only demolished in 1946. The individual parts of this square originally had their own names - Kramarsky Rad (Kramarsky Row), Zeleny trh (Green Market) and Chlebovy trh (Bread Market). When these streets were combined they were first of all given the name Trhove namestie (Market Square) then in 1974 with the addition of the Memorial to the Slovak National Uprising the street was given its present name.
At the end of 1989 this square saw large political meetings demonstrating Bratislavans' support for a movement towards a democratic Czechoslovakia.(The so called "Velvet Revolution").
Go Diagram of Slovak National Uprising Square
Go Map showing Slovak National Uprising Square
Go Other streets and squares in the old town
Go Back to start