Settlement on this site is thought to date back to the early Stone Age. In its present form it was established in about the 13th century in front of the developing town. The old titles of this square show its uses in the past - "Meat Market" (Payden Fleischpenken) in the 16th century, "Corn Market" (Getreidemarkt) and "Brick-a-brack Market" or "Tandlmarkt". Later this area was called St. Martin's Square, Knight's Square, Bathany Square (after Archbishop Bethany) and from 1919 Archbishop's Square.
When the square was last reconstructed in 1976 the well was discovered and reconstructed.
Go Diagram of Archbishop's Square
Go Map showing Archbishop's Square
Go Other streets and squares in the old town
Go Back to start